Essential Organic Young Jackfruit 3kg
A natural nutritious and organic meat alternative, with a texture and appearance similar to pulled pork when cooked.
This vegan meat alternative is bursting with free radical fighting anti-oxidants and vitamins A & C, plus it is a great source of potassium, zinc and iron, with the high fibre content helping to maintain a healthy digestive system.
Ethically sourced and grown organically by farmers in Sri Lanka.
Simply drain and rinse the jackfruit, tear the chunks and cook in a sauce. Perfect added to pasta bakes, in wraps, tacos, burritos and buns.
About the brand
Essential's history can be traced back to the year of 1971.
Harvest, a wholefood co-operative located in Bath, consisted of 17-20 members and operated a cash and carry and a small number of delivery runs each day. Harvest had retail customers and sold pre packs; small bags of commodities and ingredients such as rice, seeds, nuts, dried fruit and herbs.
Shortly after, Nova arrived. Situated on St Thomas Street in Bristol, Nova specialised in organic and bulk commodities and had a customer base including wholesalers and buying groups. Nova’s focus was good, unprocessed, additive free, organic and vegetarian food.
In 1991 these two co-operatives merged and became Essential Trading Co-operative Ltd. Harvest moved into the new Nova warehouse in Fishponds, Bristol. The members from each co-op and the product portfolios were retained. Essential still has the combined customer base of wholesale, retail and buying groups today.
Essential Trading is an inspiring example of a successful Worker Co-operative business in action. Our commercial success enables us to;
- Continue to build and strengthen relationships with suppliers and customers, offering world class service levels in all aspects of our business.
- Provide a sustainable business model that is mutually beneficial and fair
- Offer a stimulating and supportive environment for all workers, respect for the individual and a strong sense of business purpose.
- Continue to reduce our environmental impact locally, nationally and globally
- Uphold and promote our core beliefs within all areas of our business.
- Become the vital link between small producers and the Independent Trade Sector with our ongoing commitment to ethical values and sourcing
- Recycling our success into strengthening communities, both locally and globally
To excel as a sustainable business providing ethically sourced, vegetarian products as a pioneering Worker Co-operative.
Essential's trading objectives are defined by our core ethical beliefs:
- Opposition to the exploitation of animals
- Promotion of healthy eating
- Concern for protecting the environment
- Commitment to human rights as a trading issue
- Dedication to the co-operative principles
- 100% Vegetarian and Vegan
- GM Free
- Egalitarian co-operative structure
- Paperwork and pricelists are printed on FSC accredited or recycled paper, using vegetable inks whenever possible
- No unwanted additives - just healthy natural food
- Fairtrade, sustainable, recycled, organic and eco friendly products
- Actively trading with ethical producers and co-operatives
- Our power is provided by Ecotricity at our Retail outlets Harvest
- We refuse to trade with any outlets that sell fur
- We strive to minimise packaging and use ecological packaging wherever possible
- Mixing products are packed into sacks made of wood pulp from sustainable forests, produced in an environmentally-friendly manner
- All products are freighted by either land or sea - never by air
- The warehouse is fitted with solar PV which will generate an estimated 38000 kWh of electricity per annum, this represents a saving of approximately 513 Tonnes of CO2 over the 25 year life of the FIT (Feed in Tariff). Although the system should continue to run long after the FIT contract has come to an end.